Welcome to Westlake High School and the Driver’s Education program. This program is designed to assist students complete the Utah State Requirements and obtain a driver’s license. Please refer to the tabs below to answer your questions. We look forward in helping your student(s) achieve this milestone and become a safe, responsible driver.
- Session #1 September 10 – October 10, 2019 MORNING 6-7:20AM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: September 11, 2019 @ 6PM
- Session #1 September 10 – October 10, 2019 AFTERNOON 2:40-4PM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: September 11, 2019 @ 6PM
- Session #2 October 2 – October 29, 2019 MORNING 6-7:20AM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: October 30, 2019 @ 6PM
- Session #2 October 2 – October 29, 2019 AFTERNOON 2:40-4PM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: October 30, 2019 @ 6PM
- Session #3 January 14 – February 13, 2020 MORNING 6-7:20AM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: January 15, 2020 @ 6PM
- Session #3 January 14 – February 13, 2020 AFTERNOON 2:40-4PM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: January 15, 2020 @ 6PM
- Session #4 March 24 – April 30, 2020 MORNING 6-7:20AM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: March 25, 2020 @ 6PM
- Session #4 March 24 – April 30 13, 2020 AFTERNOON 2:40-4PM (Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday) Parent Meeting: March 25, 2020 @ 6PM
- ONLINE Session #1 September 3 – September 30, 2019 (Deadline September 3-6)
- ONLINE Session #2 October 1 – October 31, 2019 (Deadline October 1-4)
- ONLINE Session #3 November 4 – November 30, 2019 (Deadline November 4-8)
- ONLINE Session #4 December 1 – December 31, 2019 (Deadline December 2-6)
- ONLINE Session #5 January 6 – 31, 2020 (Deadline January 6-10)
- ONLINE Session #6 February 3 – February 28, 2020 (Deadline February 3-7)
- ONLINE Session #7 March 2 – March 31, 2020 (Deadline March 2-6)
- ONLINE Session #8 April 1 – April 30, 2020 (Deadline April 1-3)
- ONLINE Session #9 May 4 – May 31, 2020 (Deadline May 4-8)
Driver’s Education classes are offered to all those students who have a Learner’s Permit. Both morning and afternoon classes are offered. The classes are held at Westlake High School. There are 9 sessions to chose from–7 sessions are during the school year and 2 sessions are throughout the summer.
The regular 8 sessions of driver’s education meet on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The morning sessions meet from 6am – 7:20am. The afternoon sessions meet from 2:40pm – 4pm. Each class session is approximately 8 weeks in length.
***NEW THIS FALL! We are offering two after school Accelerated Session.*** Students will be able to complete the classroom requirements in 2 short weeks when taking the accelerated course. This course will meet Monday – Friday from 2:30-5:30pm.
All sessions include the mandatory parent/student meeting, range orientation/observation, the new Street Smart computer simulator program and their driver’s education lab experience.
The $150 fee can be paid to the Westlake finance office or through MySchoolFees. This fee includes: Classroom instruction, Observation & Range, as well as the Road Instruction and test–all of which, are Utah State requirements to obtain a driver’s license. This fee must be paid prior to the first day of the session you have signed up for.
There are two ways to register for the class. You may sign up using the form (right), or you may contact the front office. Students must be at least 15 years old and have their Utah Driver’s Permit (learner’s permit) in order to register.
Perfect attendance is vital to the student’s success in the class, on the range and on the road. Students must attend the mandatory meeting, classes, range, and road with a B (80%) or better to pass the course.
Range and Road are a required component of Driver’s Education. Range and road make up 6 of the required 40 hours needed to drive, prior to obtaining a license. Range is scheduled while in the class and takes place in the evening. Road is schedule with their assigned instructor. All students are encouraged to schedule road when they have completed their 40+ hours of driving and are ready to be tested.
Westlake High School DOES NOT offer an on-line class. Students who take the Driver’s Education class via on-line, can schedule Range and Road through Mr. O’Connor. Please contact him via email to be scheduled. The cost is $95 for this portion. Students who take the class on-line are required to complete the following:
- Register and complete Street Smart: A Computer Simulator Program. Registration will be available to you when you register for Range/Road.
- Attend any Zero Fatalities parent/student meeting. Zero Fatalities meetings are available here, at Westlake, and on the Zero Fatalities website. Students must provide proof of attendance to their assigned road instructor.
The mandatory parent/student meeting is one of the attendance days built into the program. This meeting is essential in setting the tone to the importance of driving and the role of both the parent and student. Utah’s Zero Fatalities, in conjunction with our instructors, present important information regarding the class such as rules, regulations and the many obstacles and distractions young drivers face. The meeting lasts approximately 1.5 hours.
Effective January 1, 2016, in compliance with House Bill 147, applicants applying for an original or provisional Class D license are required to pass this additional knowledge test prior to receiving a permanent license. This exam covers driving safety topics and the top five major causes of traffic related deaths as identified by the Utah Highway Safety Office.
A training video will be provided for each section to be viewed before attempting to answer the exam questions for that section.
Each section can be taken multiple times. Once all sections are completed with a score of 100%, the information will be transmitted to the Driver License Division. Find more information HERE.